Camp Massad was founded in 1947 by the Keren Hatarbut Ha'Ivri under the leadership of Aron Horowitz and a small group of Canadian Hebraists.Horowitz had previously founded Camp T'chiyah in Calgary in 1944, the first Hebrew-speaking summer camp. Massad's first president, Isaac Gold, invested three thousand dollars as a deposit for a camp-site at Lac Quenouille in the Laurentians. With the assistance of Gold and other philanthropists, Massad grew from a small camp-site with no pier, no level ground for sports, few showers, a short supply of drinking water, and one hall for both dining and activities.
In its first summer, Massad had eighty campers.In its second season Massad saw a 50% increase in applicants, and could only accept 150 campers.Campers were divided into four age groups: Chalutsim, Olim, Bonim, and Shomrim. Following the Histadrut HaNoar Ha'Ivri's American Massad movement, the groups were soon renamed Shoresh (roots), Geza (trunk), Anaf (branch), and Tzameret (tree-top).